January 6, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

Photos by CIE in Bari, Italy

Photos by CIE in Bari, Italy

The CIE (Identification & Deportation Centers) are the concentration camps of immigrants in Italy, known for their miserable conditions …

In recent days published some pictures from a CIE in Bari …italy. #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 33%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; }

Posted by
Anarchist Core

January 6, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

Hamburg, concentration of solidarity, conflict barricades

By gathering the prisoners solidarity activists, roadblocks and clashes welcomed the new year in Hamburg.

About 300 activists gathered at New Year, in solidarity with the detained activists.

They set up burning barricades in the harbor and attacked with stones, bottles and Molotov cocktail at 250 cops attacked them for their break, using pepper spray and baton, three cops injured, there were two arrests.

January 6, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

ethal clashes at Gaza-Egypt border


Egyptian forces clashed with members of the Viva Palestina convoy late on Tuesday [GALLO/GETTY]

At least one Egyptian border guard has been killed and two Palestinians shot and wounded along the Gaza border during fierce clashes with Egyptian security forces.

A border protest on Wednesday turned violent over frustration that the aid convoy, Viva Palestina, had been delayed.

Egyptian forces opened fire to disperse stone-throwing protesters who had gathered on the Gaza side of the Rafah border crossing, witnesses and medics said.

Gaza’s Hamas leaders had called for the rally to protest the delay of the Viva Palestina international aid convoy at Egypt’s port city of al-Arish.

Al Jazeera’s Ayman Mohyeldin, reporting from Gaza, said the situation had calmed considerably shortly thereafter.

“Senior officials from Palestinian security forces have arrived at the border [and] they have calmed the situation down. They were able to push back the thousand or so protesters and rock-throwers who had gathered here.

“About an hour ago, a rally that had been organised by Hamas to criticise Egypt’s denial to allow the Viva Palestina convoy to make its way into Gaza with much needed aid was held here.

“Shortly after that concluded, Palestinians started throwing rocks at Egyptian security personnel on the other side of the border and we heard an exchange of gunfire. We have been able to confirm that two Palestinians have been injured as a result of that gunfire.”

Aid convoy delayed

Wednesday’s fighting followed a clash late on Tuesday between Egyptian authorities and international members of the Viva Palestina convoy, which is destined for the Gaza Strip.

At least 55 people were injured in those clashes when 520 activists broke down a gate at the port in al-Arish to protest against an Egyptian decision to ship some of the goods through Israel.

In depth

‘Fighting to break Gaza siege’
Egypt blocks US activists’ march
Viva Palestina’s bumpy road
Video: Gaza aid held up in Jordan

The protests were sparked by an Egyptian decision to allow 139 vehicles to enter Gaza through the Rafah crossing, about 45km from the port in al-Arish, but requiring a remaining 59 vehicles to pass via Israel.

The convoy, led by George Galloway, a British MP, had already been delayed by more than a week, after he and a delegation of Turkish MPs failed to persuade the Egyptians to change their mind.

Fawzi Barhoum, a Hamas spokesman, criticised Egyptian authorities on Wednesday for “reinforcing the seige on Gaza”.

“Around 40 Arab, Islamic and European states have mobilized financial and media support to lift the siege imposed on Gaza Strip,” he told Al Jazeera.

“Why does not Egypt go along this path of solidarity with Gaza Strip? Such practices are outrageous, inhumane and unethical.

“Our expectations from Egypt and its security authorities are high, but it seems that these expectations are being smashed by batons, hot water and the brutal beating of hundreds of supporters in al-Arish port …”.

Disputed route

The convoy of nearly 200 vehicles arrived in al-Arish on Monday after a dispute with Cairo on the route.

But the arrival came after a bitter dispute between its organisers and the government, which banned the convoy from entering Egypt’s Sinai from Jordan by ferry, forcing it to drive north to the Syrian port of Lattakia.

The convoy with 210 lorries full of medicine and other supplies set out from the UK nearly a month ago.

Israel and Egypt have severely restricted travel to and from the Gaza Strip since Hamas seized power there in June 2007, after winning Palestinian legislative elections in 2006.

The blockade currrently allows only very basic supplies into Gaza.

The siege has severely restricted essential supplies and placed Gazans in a dire situation, made worse by Israel’s military assault last winter that reduced much of the territory to ruins.

January 6, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

Viva Palestina: More Than 10 Injured, Seven Arrested, Including A Malaysian

Viva Palestina: More Than 10 Injured, Seven Arrested, Including A Malaysian

From Kuzaimah Idris

EL-ARISH PORT, Jan 6 (Bernama) — More than 10 members of the Viva Palestina convoy were injured, four of them seriously, and seven members arrested by Egyptian police during a protest here Tuesday at 11.40pm local time.

Among those arrested was a Malaysian, Ibrahim Mohd Azmi, a University of Bristol medical student who was a convoy volunteer.

The protest was staged by Viva Palestina convoy members to protest against the decision by the Eqyptian government to bar 59 convoy vehicles from leaving here for Gaza.

Egyptian police acted strongly against the convoy members three hours after the protest was staged at the entry and exit security point at this port.

Four members were seriously injured and had to be taken to hospital for further treatment.

More than 10 members sustained light injuries due to thrown rocks and tear gas.

Also arrested were three Britons, two Americans and a Kuwaiti.

According to witnesses, the incident was provoked by agents provocateurs of the Egyptian government.

Earlier, the convoy members had gathered and formed a human wall to protest against the decision to disallow the 59 vehicles from leaving the port.

The Egyptians deployed 189 anti-riot personnel equipped with water cannon and tear gas.

According to Viva Palestina leader George Galloway, there are negotiations at the highest level by Turkish authorities with the Egyptian government including for the release of all those detained.

At the time of this report at 4.10am local time, the situation was calm although observation and enclosure was still on by the Egyptian authorities.

The Viva Palestina Convoy is made up of 450 people from various countries with 220 vehicles in a mission to send humanitarian aid like food, medicines and school equipment worth more than US$1 million to Palestinians in Gaza.

The mission began in London on Dec 9 last year and has moved through various places in Turkey, Syria and Jordan.

The convoy was supposed to arrive in Gaza on Dec 27 but was held up by the Egyptian government which refused to allow use of the port of Nuweiba for entry to Rafah before arriving in Gaza.

As a result, they had to return to Syria to find another way to reach Rafah to go into Gaza.

— BERNAMA

January 4, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

Las Vegas Courthouse Shooting: 2 Men Shot, 1 De ad,

There has been a shooting in a Federal courthouse in Downtown Las Vegas. One court guard and a federal agents were shot. The court security guard is now confirmed dead. The deputy US marshal is in stable condition.

A shooter was involved in the Las Vegas courthouse shooting. He was shot and killed a block away from the federal courthouse. The shooter used a shotgun and opened fire in the lobby of the courthouse at 8 am in the morning. Joseph Dickey from FBI said a shooter hid the shotgun under his coat when entering the federal court building.

The 65-year-old court officer who died has not been named and neither has the 48-year-old who was injured in the barrage of gunfire.

The courthouse is closed for the reset of the day.

Drivers are advised to take alternative routes around downtown Las Vegas:

The shooting broke out in the lobby of the building, located on Las Vegas Boulevard between Bridger and Bonneville avenues.

Surrounding streets were closed immediately by police and drivers were urged to use alternate routes around downtown, including Interstate 15 to the west and Maryland Parkway to the east.

January 4, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

New Years Eve solidarity at Lewes Prison

Around 30 people celebrated New Years Eve outside Lewes prison (near Brighton) with fireworks and a sound system…

as well as banners against the prison state and shouting messages of support. Those inside Lewes currently include one of those charged with (and currently on remand for) decomissioning the EDO bomb components factory in Brighton. The evening’s comedy highlight was the police (all four of them) deciding to try and turn off the sound system during the last song we planned to play, as they objected to the lyrics of the Xmas number one by Rage Against The Machine. After some push and shove while people sang along to ‘fuck you I won’t do what you tell me’, they backed off, and people headed off to continue their New Year celebrations somewhere warmer while prisoners shouted for us to come back the next night…

January 4, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

Lyon: young man killed by security guards at Carrefour supermarket for two bottles of beer


LYON — A 25 year old man died asphyxiated last Tuesday in Lyon after being held down for about one hour in a Carrefour supermarket by four security guards who are due to appear before an instructing judge on Thursday morning.

The young man, held on Monday evening by security guards, died “due to mechanical asphyxiation caused by compression of the thoracic cage ” and had bruising in the arms and forehead”, according to the results of an autopsy transmitted to AFP by the State attorney in Lyon .

The four guards are being held further for “aggravated violence leading to unintentional dicease” a crime punishable with 20 years imprisonment, and will appear before an instructing judge on Thursday around 8.30.

The events took place on Monday around 18.15 when a marginal young man “living in a hostel in Lyon” was stopped when trying to steal two bottles of beer at the Carrefour supermarket in the Part-Dieu area.

Three security guards took him into the control room where he was immobilised.

…The police, who had been called immediately, took 50 minutes to arrive. The young man had been pinned against the wall, then against a high table for about half an hour.

The young man then lost consciousness. He died in hospital on Tuesday afternoon.

January 4, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

NYE Solidarity Action at Horfield Prison, Bristol


01 Jan 2010
00.10hrs
Horfield Prison, Bristol, UK.

As another decade of neoliberal warfare was ushered in, a group of 20-30 comrades, criminals and low-lifes released fireworks into the grounds of Horfield Prison. Slogans were painted on the fortress walls. Loud noise was made.

This act of solidarity was intended to show those locked up inside, whilst the rest of the city was celebrating the new year, that they were not forgotten.

Many other cities across Europe and the rest of the world experienced similar acts of solidarity to those incacerated, whatever their ‘crime’ might be.

Inside and outside of those walls we are all prisoners. Fire to the prisons. Death to imperialism. Solidarity with all people and communities resisting the onslaught of planetary control and exploitation that is industrial civilisation.

January 4, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

Fire at Sodom and Gomorrah

<!–

–>

Sodom and Gomorrah
Sodom and Gomorrah

<!–

–>

<!– –> new txtthis(‘Fire at Sodom and Gomorrah’); 
Fire Tuesday gutted more than 2,000 structures at Sodom and Gomorrah, the fourth such disaster to hit the sprawling slum in the central business district of Accra this year.

Properties running into hundreds of Ghana cedis were destroyed in the process but no casualties were reported because most of the slum dwellers had taken advantage of the apparent halt in the Accra decongesting exercise to engage in various types of trade outside.

The fire, which started at 2:30 p.m., raged on for more than two hours, rapidly sweeping through the wooden structures as personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) could not get access to the place.

The squatters were forced, under the circumstances, to improvise in fighting the fire by breaking down some of the structures and pouring water on the fire.

They had difficulty accessing water to bring the fire under control, because some of the pipelines had been disconnected because they had been illegally connected. Besides, the wind kept changing the direction of the fire until a measure of control was attained around 5:30 p.m.

Most of the squatters were in town ‘when the fire started. When they learnt of the fire, they rushed back to the slum, only to see their structures in ashes. Some of them, especially the women, were seen sobbing.

The few who were in their rooms when the fire started managed to retrieve some of their goods. They were seen carrying their goods away from the direction of the fire, while others gathered by their goods in groups.

Adamu Ibrahim, whose structure was completely destroyed, told the Daily Graphic that he was weighing his scrap metals when he heard of the fire.

“The fire destroyed my television set and all my goods. It also destroyed two rooms belonging to my brother who is in the north now,” he said.

Adam said he would re-erect the structure but indicated that this time around he would use cement blocks to prevent it from getting burnt down in the event of another fire outbreak.

Salifu Inusah said he was in his room watching a film when he heard of the fire. His room was destroyed but he managed to retrieve some of his property.

He said he would put up the structure again, since he did not have any money to rent a room.

The Jamestown District Police Commander, Superintendent J. Oklu Gyamera, told the Daily Graphic that he was informed of the fire around 3 p.m. and he immediately called officers of the GNFS to get to the scene.

He confirmed that there had been no access to the fire by officers of the GNFS.

January 3, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

Two Dead in Clashes Between Police, Peasants in Peru

December 13th, 2009

LIMA – Two civilians died in clashes between peasants and police in the northern province of Huancabamba, Peruvian media said on Thursday.

The incidents occurred on Wednesday afternoon when police tried to arrest several people suspected in a Nov. 1 attack that left three people dead at a mining camp run by Chinese-owned Rio Blanco Copper.

A resident of the remote town of Cajas Canchaque, Elmer Tocto, told CNR radio that police fired at the villagers when they rose up in defense of the suspects.

In the fighting, two peasants – identified as Castulo Correa Huayama, 39, and Vicente Romero Ramirez, 52 – died from police gunfire and six other townspeople were wounded, among them an 18-year-old man who was hit in the head by a bullet, CNR reported.

Meanwhile, regional police commander Walter Rivera reported that two officers were also wounded and said that his men made use of their weapons in legitimate self-defense, according to CNR.

Gen. Rivera said that the police tried to arrest three people in Cajas Canchaque.

The deaths of the peasants were confirmed by the representative of the National Ombudsman’s Office, Vito Verna, according to reporting by the daily La Republica on Thursday.

For her part, nationalist lawmaker Marisol Espinoza on Thursday said in an interview with RPP radio that Vicente Romero was not shot at the scene of the clashes “but rather on a rural road and in the back.”

The legislator added that last week several peasants from the area had been arrested and interrogated inside Rio Blanco facilities.

Mining operations in the area have drawn opposition from residents.

A non-binding referendum was held in September 2007, with some 95 percent of the votes being cast against the mining project.

The Rio Blanco project, previously known as the Majaz project, was transferred in 2007 by Britain’s Monterrico Metals to China’s Zijin, with total investment reaching $1.4 billion.

The Peruvian government gave Monterrico Metals the green light in 2003 for the Rio Blanco project, but the company failed to win the support of residents, who staged protests the following year that left two dead. EFE

January 2, 2010
by actforfreedomnow
0 comments

Our being is on fire. Behind the bars we have set ourselves, sometimes even for our own selves.

Our being is on fire. In front of shiny storefronts, between humans who demand nothing. In the workspaces, the consumerist “wants”, in the economy’s suffocating flow. In representation, idleness, the rottenness that eats away the last cells of the social body. In the teaching rooms, in the teachers’ orders, the dreams of capitalist integration. In the boring evenings in front of the talking box, in the “socialising” evenings, in the distribution of whatever lifestyles to all in order to become accepted. In the norms and boxes, in laws, cops and their collaborators. In fear and weakness, in resignations, in self-destructing engagements with whatever soothes the pain born by meaningless life.

Our being is on fire. And we ask nothing from this world and everyone who digs it. We insist, we bleed, we risk for ourselves and for this world’s destruction and wonder if there are others ready to accompany us in the nights of struggle.
Our being is on fire. Decisions are quickened, denials are erected. Another small breath… Until the next one, with no end, now and for ever.

Our being is on fire. For the imprisoned co-warriors, those who acted in the age of the dead. Those who neither regretted nor regret. Those who paid the price for their choices without ever lowering their gaze. Those who dared and who will dare again, who never learned how to kneel.

Our being is on fire. For Polis [Georgiadis] and for Ilias [Nikolaou], whose outlines we are missing. To Polis and to Ilias, who behind walls share with us, and we share with them the same madness, the same bloody awry that allows us free breaths. Even if these words cannot swap their agony and wrath as physical presences next to ours.

Our being is on fire. And we still have a long way to go. It will fuel new attacks and will take whatever retaliation.

Our being is on fire and we simply air it, in this case by torching to the ground the luxury clothing shop Prince Oliver in the center of Thessaloniki.

We don’t stop and for this reason the enemy has already lost. War without a breath.

May the deafening charge to the stars become this society’s death rattle.

Explosive Material