Livorno, Italy – On the demo outside “Le Sughere” prison on 20th May 2017


carcere_web-1024x724Two weeks after the demo outside “Le Sughere” prison in Livorno, from prisoners’ letters we learn that they heard the warm solidarity coming from speeches, slogans and fireworks, and decided to take part in the protest with two hours of bar-beating and some bedsheets in flames.
An intense day that of 20th May in Livorno. There were many of us outside there: comrades from several cities, Stefano Crescenzi’s family* and mothers of other kids murdered by prison. At the top of our lungs, about 150 of us broke the silence that walls and enclosures want to impose inside and outside.

This what we have been told about the day of protest inside the prison, as it was impossible to hear the noise of bar-beating during the demo, due to the distance.
Throughout the day there were interventions of pain and anger, promises to join the struggle because if repression kills and isolates by cutting off relations, our task is to strengthen those relations and not give any truce to those who declare war every day.
We had met Stefano’s family at the demo of 31st December outside Rebibbia prison. On that occasion, along with Radio Onda Rossa and the campaign Pagine Contro la Tortura [Pages against torture], we spent the day outside the perimeter walls of the men’s and women’s prison. Prisoners’ relatives had the chance to send their love and that they were close to them by talking on the open microphone.
The struggle against prison builds relations between those who also suffer the violence of prison violence outside the walls; between those whose family, friends and loved ones have been kidnapped or killed by the State ; between those who keep hatred of cages alive.
To struggle together against prison aware that doing so also means fighting the law and repression of the existent that the State imposes, also with military violence.
We hate prison day after day.
*[Stefano Crescenzi was sent down in 2013, in spite of the fact that he suffered epileptic fits and had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. From the beginning of his detention, Stefano’s family tried to send the medicines he needed into the prison but he never got these or any other medical care. As his health continued to deteriorate, he was transferred to various prisons throughout the country. After repeated attempts by his family, a judge ordered a medical examination to establish whether Stefano’s health was compatible with prison. The doctor’s verdict was that Stefano needed urgent medical care which he was not being given in prison. The prison administration of Livorno, where he was locked up at the time, decided not to run any risks and transferred Stefano to the prison hospital of Secondigliano, Naples. A week later he was moved to the San Giovanni Bosco hospital, where he died on 22nd January aged 38.]
Translated by act for freedom now!

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.